Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Book Titles that Grab Readers

The working title of my middle grade novel isn't working. In query letters to agents, I need to explain the title, TRIPLE B, before summarizing the plot. Clearly, that's a problem.

Recently, I asked writers on the new site CP Seek www.cpseek.com for their opinions on my current title and conducted a poll. One writer commented that TRIPLE B "might be being too literal. Something like "The Trifecta" or "All Three Bases", where you explain what that means in the opening, might give room for a catchier title that ties in in a more generic way."

Polling possible titles for my middle grade novel
PICTURE A LIE 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
EPIC MISTAKE AT THIRTEEN 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
GET ME OUT OF HERE 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
CROSSING INTO BULLY 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
ONE MESSED UP EIGHTH GRADE LIFE 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
NONE OF THE ABOVE 38%  38%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 21

I agree with those writers who selected none of the above. TRIPLE B is too literal of a title, but the other five choices are too general.  

Are you having trouble inventing the perfect title for your novel?
 
Author Bethany Roberts suggests some tips for choosing a title.  
  • Keep your titles short and snappy. I have learned this one the hard way! People seem to have great difficulty remembering my longer titles, but no problem remembering the shorter ones. A good general rule is to keep your titles from one to three words, no more than five. 
  •  Catchy sounds - In creating your titles, try playing with poetic devises like alliteration and rhyme. Of my own book titles, I think my favorite is MONSTER MANNERS because the alliteration makes it fun to say.
  •  Use verbs - Another way to make a title lively is to use an active verb in it. I did that with FOLLOW ME!
  •  Reflect the theme - a good title, however short and catchy, gives us a hint of what the story is about.
  • Hook your reader - The title is your first chance to grab the attention of a reader- or of an editor.
  • Has your title been used? Check with Books in Print (at your library), or do a search on Amazon.com

For more great writing tips, visit Bethany Roberts.com.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts